Thursday, March 20, 2014

3/20 by Bob Keiter

I believe to follow is to learn to “live in time” to be empowered to say at the end of our days, “I
have completed the work that was given to me”. We must find in Christ our life’s purpose and
direction, and through union with Him, to become what we were designed to be from the very
beginning. Let go of envy and resentment and enjoy the life that has been given to us.

The Boy Scout Oath, in part says, “to do my duty to God and my country”. What a great start for
a young man. I feel there is a proper time to listen to Jesus and a proper time to work for Him. 
As a teenager in the Baptist Church, our youth group, called the Baptist Youth Fellowship, was
invited to take part in a Discipleship Convocation with several other churches. I volunteered to
paint a banner that read, “Lead on O King Eternal, we follow not with fear”. The banner was 18
inches wide and 50 feet long and was to be hung across the front of the host church. What was I
thinking? 

Each of us has been a prisoner of fear at one time or another. Fear of sickness, uncertainty, or of
rejection. Fear is like a dark shadow that imprisons us within ourselves. But we can conquer
fear by using the bright light of the Lord. The Lord is my light and my salvation. (Psalm 27)
During the Korean war I carried, in my helmet, a small copy of the New Testament which
contained selections from Psalms. I would often refer to Psalm 27 with my squad. During a
night battle, while trying to protect a hill, I was wounded. Falling head over heels down the
snow covered hill, I was in fear of losing my bible. At 22 degrees below zero, I soon passed out. 
I saw the light of my Lord in the morning when I heard someone say, “This one is alive”. I was
picked up, put in a trailer, and taken to a MASH station. (I still have my bible.)

God’s ability to restore life is beyond our understanding. We know forests burn down and grow
back. Broken bones heal. Even grief is not a permanent condition. (Psalm 126) 
The Book of Luke tells of Jesus teaching about entering the Kingdom. Jesus spoke in parables,
some difficult to explain or understand. I believe we can follow Jesus if we live faithfully, speak
truthfully, love generously, pray daily, and leave the rest to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment