Monday, March 31, 2014

3/31 by Dan Blessinger

One of my favorite songs was written and recorded by a little known artist (now producer) named Charlie Peacock, called "Heaven Is A Real Place".  I've always admired songwriters who can sum up something that I feel, or believe deeply, in a 3 minute collection of melody and lyrics.  This is one of those songs for me.  Here are some of the lyrics.

Oh, for the eyes to see beyond this flesh and bone to my final destination, to the city I'll call home,
Well, it's crazy to pretend and try to act like I'm one of the local boys,
Everybody knows that I'm really just a tourist, not by accident, but by my own choice,
Still, so much of the time I live like this spinning ball of land and ocean is my reality complete,
Would you say a prayer for a change in me?
'Cause this is what I want, this is what I need.

I wanna live like heaven is a real place,
I wanna live like heaven is a real place,
In my everyday time and space I wanna live like heaven is a real place.

God didn't give up on the idea of Eden, as some misguided have assumed,
The garden has given place to a city where the walk of God with man will be resumed,
Paradise is not lost at all,
Let my whole life reflect my belief that heaven is where I'll spend eternity,
That would be something, something to see, 'til death is swallowed up in victory.

I wanna live like heaven is a real place,
I wanna live like heaven is a real place,
In my everyday time and space I wanna live like heaven is a real place.



What does it mean to follow Jesus?  It starts with the faith to take Jesus at His word, that what He said was true and worth pursuing.  We are mere tourists on earth, here for a brief moment in time.  We are tasked with building His kingdom, loving our neighbor, taking care of widow and orphan, forgiving our enemies, finding lost sheep, offering a cup of cool water to the thirsty.  This sounds like a lot of work… right?  It's not if you live like heaven is a real place.

No comments:

Post a Comment