Thursday, March 27, 2014

3/27 by Donna Herrin

When it comes to music, I am hooked. I have often said that if someone would've put my algebra lessons and subsequent math courses to music, I would've had straight A's. For some reason that is how my brain works. Put anything to music and I will learn it. So, as I dwelled on our Lenten theme, “Follow” and what I would write for all to read (a very intimidating thought) naturally, my brain went to music and different songs began to jump out from the cobwebbed corners of my mind. Follow the Yellow Brick Road, (The Wizard of Oz), Follow the Drinking Gourd, (An African American Spiritual that helped escaped slaves find theIr way to freedom.), I Will Follow Him, (Little Peggy March), Try To Remember, aka Follow, (The Fantasticks), Annie's Song/Follow Me, (John Denver), Follow You, Follow Me, (Genesis), And finally, Follow Me, (Muse).

As I recalled many of these songs, I began to ponder...

What would happen if we decided to follow, instead of trying to lead? Depending upon whom or what we follow, could land us in a place that is either good or bad. If we decide to follow the latest trend or styles we could end up looking fantastic--now, and silly-- later when the trends have changed. But not following the “latests” often leaves us looking like a people stuck in the past. Relevant or irrelevant, it’s a choice. But what is relevant? Who determines what relevant is? Perhaps a better question is, who do we allow to determine our relevance? Family, friends, the university we attended (or never attended), our career, complete strangers, Facebook, Twitter, or Jesus Christ? 

In Matthew 4:19 and Mark 1:17, Jesus said, “Come, follow me and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him. 

The disciples understood relevance.

A fascinating event occurs as we begin to follow Christ. We somehow, at some point, become leaders. And what we do with our leadership will determine just how many more followers will become leaders for Christ. It is a circle made perfect only by Christ. 
If you think that you can never be a leader, I ask you to dwell on these verses in Psalm 139:13-14, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” 

So if God’s works are wonderful and we follow Him, we need only to find our relevance in Him and He will fill our nets with what is truly important.

What’s in your net?

1 comment:

  1. Donna-- Thank you for your thoughtful words. They have touched me today. I only wish I would have set them to print myself. May the Lord continue to bless you as you lead those around you, some that you never realized were watching.

    ReplyDelete