Tuesday, April 1, 2014

4/1 by Lana

I’ve been really obsessed about following God lately – scratch that, I’ve been really obsessed with following gods lately.  I verbally proclaim that I want to seek after Jesus and truly know his heart, but my mind has been elsewhere.  It’s been focused on myself: my life plan and my comfort.

I confess, my thoughts each day are consumed with how unsatisfied I feel and what I need to do to change that feeling. I’m constantly thinking, “What’s the ‘best next step’ for me? Surly, if I could only find the perfect new job or move to an exciting new city I will find contentment – I will be able to follow God without hesitation, distractions, or doubts. I toil and worry about these things because I want to follow Jesus, I want to know him more than I do now.” …Let’s be real, that’s not about Jesus, that’s all about me.

I’ve learned that by constantly fixating on my future, I’m not allowing God to meet me where He’s brought me today. I’m keeping Him from doing the work in my heart that He planned from the beginning to do at this very place and season of my life.

I’m realizing that sometimes the “best next step” is not taking one; and following God means sitting tight, being still, giving it all up, and letting God do the good work He started inside of my heart. I must trust that at this moment in my life, God has me exactly where he called me to be.

Until he calls me elsewhere, I need to be patient, live in the present, and allow God to do the work. He may not lead me where I expect, but ultimately His will is better than my own.

Great, my conclusion is a bunch of very broad and cliché statements that are easy to say, hard to do.  So…. how do I actually live them out? How do we live them out?

I’m still figuring that out, but thank goodness God has all the answers and has given us His Son, His Word, His Spirit, and His body to meet us exactly where we are.

  •  Philippians 1:6 - Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
  • Psalm 37:7 -  Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don't worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes.
  • Matthew 16:24 - Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment